Sunday, August 30, 2009

At the Rental Store

It is rare for me to walk into a movie rental store and find an employee of the shop who not only has seen many of the movies there, and is really helpful to customers like me (comes out from behind the counter to find me something to watch), but who also seems to have the same taste in movies as I do.

But tonight, I was that lucky. I tried to read the name tag on this super sales associate's shirt, but her long hair was covering it. I guess I could have simply asked, but I felt as if I had already asked so many questions.

But this girl really knew her movies. She was also really excited about sharing her knowledge with me, and she spent the time explaining short plot summaries, the cast, as well as the genre of movies she recommended, with pleasure. I was worried about the person behind me waiting in line, but the employee took charge, and showed me out towards the racks of movies, while her coworker took the till.

We perused the aisles of movies together and she took in the preferences that I gave her with care. She listened and took me over to the drama section which she advised was quite popular for the kind of movie I was looking for.

Movies that she recommended:
Simply Irresistible (which was unfortunately out tonight), Freedom Writers (Have I seen that? Well, I should because its title is made up of two things that are of great importance to me-Freedom and Writing), Marley and Me, and Havoc. I asked her about The Boy With the Striped Pygamas. She said it was good, but she cried in it. And I appreciated how considerate she was of my request to find me something that would not be too serious, too heavy, and most importantly would not put me in tears. And that's a hard request to satisfy since I seem to cry easily in sad, sentimental, inspirational, happy and sometimes even funny movies!

So, I picked Outsourced which I was told was a light comedy whic included a little romance in India- an all around feel good movie.
Yes, that's what I was looking for.

And of course, I had to grab a pack of those almond M&M's that Michelle got me addicted to. I can't watch a movie without them now. The girl who helped with the movies informed me of the deal on the candies at the moment- any 2 packs for $5.00. She's good! Because of her great service (that's my excuse) I had to take a second pack of the new dark chocolate M&M's to finish my purchase (Hey. I read an article today about the benefits of dark chocolate).

So I'm off to watch the movie right now.
I'll let you know how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment