Saturday, August 29, 2009

17 Again

This is a great rental that I probably wouldn't have chosen myself, but I'm so glad that Renee and Steve invited me over to watch it last night. We laughed a lot, especially in any of the scenes that Thomas Lennon was in because Lennon really made the movie. He was absolutely hilarious as the character Ned, the best friend of Matthew Perry's (and Zac Efron's) character.

Sounds confusing? Well, Perry and Efron play the same character- Mike O'Donell- but at different stages in his life. Afterall, this is a movie about a man, Mike, who complains so much about the opportunities he lost in his teenage years, that when he makes a wish to be seventeen again, it actually gets granted.

So Mike is given another chance to possibly be scouted out for college basketball, to realize the dreams he thinks he has lost. But through his journey, there are other factors he is given glimpses into, different than in his teenage years: his son's struggle to fit in at school, and his daughter's being introduced to dating, sexuality and broken hearts. Plus, though the seventeen year old Mike is running around classes in highschool and playing ball, the reality is that this same Mike is a husband in the midst of divorcing his high school sweetheart Scarlet.

What Mike learns along the way changes everyone's decisions and lives.

If you are looking for a cute movie, with laughs, hopes and wisdom, I say rent 17 Again. It was a good pick that I didn't even know I wanted to see until my friends and I were curled up on the couch, smiling throughout.

No comments:

Post a Comment