Sunday, April 5, 2009

August Rush

“If you hadn’t found me, I would have found you.” - Something Inside by Johnathan Rhys Meyers http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-z30EmE5ZY4

I’m sitting here listening to one of the songs from the soundtrack to August Rush, and I’m wondering why I haven’t already included this movie in my blog. Maybe I just didn't know where to start in my description of it, because it has to be one of my most favourite movies of all time. Within five minutes of watching it, I knew I would love it.

The movie touches on many things I value the most in life: music, love, the power of children’s perceptions, family, connections, destiny, and possessing an undying faith in something, no matter how many obstacles seem to come into your way to convince you to give up on it. In this case, Evan (played by Freddie Highmore) is a young boy who is sure that his parents are looking for him, even though he grew up in a foster home and doesn't know why he was given up.

To complicate things further, Lyla (played by Keri Russell) and Louis (played by Johnathan Rhys Meyers) don't even know that this child of theirs- Evan- exists. In fact, Lyla is told her baby died at birth, and Louis and her are forced to separate shortly after their first meeting. And boy, what a meeting that is! Meyer's version of Moondance (from the soundtrack), gives me goosebumps, especially when I picture the sexy, romantic scene between the two characters, in which it is sung. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=461V_BtKvqQ

Evan does not want to give up on his belief that his parents are waiting for him. He ends up going to New York, at eleven years old, to find them. During his time there, he discovers the benefit of his acute sense of hearing. He realizes that he not only picks up sounds well, but that he creates them with such talent. At first, this musical gift of his inspires and drives Evan further. But then things become difficult when a man named Wizard (played by one of my favourite actors-Robin Williams) uses Evan's gift for his own financial benefit.

This is a brilliant movie- a heartfelt story which provides a reminder of what a little hope and a lot of love can produce and give rise to, no matter what the distance. Full of moving music, beautiful scenes, and touching dialogue, August Rush draws me into a world of magic and romance, and is a good example of the simple phrases "everything happens for a reason" and "follow your heart".

And for all you cynics out there...yeah, yeah. I know it's "just" a movie, but there is a little bit of Evan, Lyla and Louis in me. And these characters and the storyline put a smile on my face, and a spark of energy within me, that I can still recall. And THAT, I have to say, is very real.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwWvBcOW5G4

What amazing movie makers to be able to tap into that!
Director- Kirsten Sheridan
Writers- Nick Castle and James V. Hart

No comments:

Post a Comment