Sunday, February 22, 2009

The Ultimate Gift


It's nearly midnight, but I can't sleep because I want to tell you about a movie I just finished watching- The Ultimate Gift. I thought I was looking for a romantic comedy or something in that genre. But I would say that this movie is simply magical.

Even the way that I ended up with it tonight, after putting away a few movies that I had grabbed off the shelf of a local rental place, is curious. The Ultimate Gift remained in my hand, and I think it did for a reason.

"This movie changes people," said the lead actor- Drew Fuller. And I think he's right. I mean, it got me writing late at night- a blog idea I was thinking about for months, but didn't get started on until tonight.

The movie is based on a book by the same title. I think that the basic premise behind the story is that life is a gift, but often times, we get so caught up in what we think life is about, that we lose out on the true life we are meant to lead; we miss out on the gift.

The commentary on the movie mentioned that it is this gift that is not just meant to be found or held onto, but also to be shared, or given away.

Fuller's character- Jason- is shown this gift after his grandfather passes away and leaves him an inheritance. The inhertance is not based on money, but is instead, a series of life changing lessons that are meant to make Jason appreciate what is truly important. Jason is shown the gift of work, the gift of laughter, the gift of friendship, the gift of family, the gift of dreams, and the gift of love. And this new world revealed to Jason is one his grandfather wanted Jason to see during his lifetime, but instead, has to show him after.

Yes, I know, this all sounds so cliche. But the hurdles put in front of Jason were presented in a way that made the story sweet, but believable. And no matter what your age or circumstance, I think everyone can't help but to relate to Jason's journey, on some or many levels, especially his struggle to try to understand his family, and where he fits in with it.

Jason, who is a young man in his late twenties or early thirties, befriends a young girl Emily who is maybe ten years old. The dynamic between the two characters is funny and sweet, and sometimes, I had to wonder who was the real adult between them, "Okay, you must be the slowest person I've ever met," says little Emily.

But even when Jason is trying to find his way, or "screws up," as Emily puts it, it's hard not to like him. I guess it helps that Fuller is a gorgeous young actor who you ladies will just not want to turn your eyes off of!

This was a great rental that made me smile but also put a few tears on my face. It was easy to get swept up into the touching scenes between mother and daughter, grandfather and grandson, and Jason and the new people who enter his life to change him, to help him grow.

The sheer genuine nature of the message in the movie- to value the time we are given here in this life- is enough to make it a must see.

Definitely a thumbs up for me! Why didn't anyone tell me about this movie before? You know it has that "find yourself" kind of feel to it that I love!:) And where can I get the book? What intrigues me more is that the author of the book- Jim Stovall- is blind.

Has anyone read it or heard of it before?

There's supposedly a "movement" now, based on the ideas of the book and movie. Go to http://www.ultimategift.com/ to find out more.





No comments:

Post a Comment